I can hardly express how much I loved this couple and their incredibly welcoming wedding. It was one of the only weddings I’ve been to where everyone was comfortable, relaxed and having fun. No one was sitting at a table bored or alone - everyone was interacting with one another. There were a ton of kids, and they were all over the place, in their element among the many games, activities and treats that were set up just for them. I honestly felt like my own kids would have fit right in (and had a blast!). It was amazing.
The inspiration for so many of the family-friendly touches came from the fact that Julie and Jake have their own little family already. Their two gorgeous daughters were dressed in white on the wedding day, and made the most adorable flower girls. It was an absolute honour to be there to watch a super in-love mom and dad make it ‘official’ with their little girls by their side.
I know that having such an incredibly comfortable wedding doesn’t happen with out a ton of thoughtful planning. Here are some of the things that this bride and groom planned, prepared and DIY-ed to create this relaxed, kid-centric celebration:
- Lawn Games - It’s always a good idea to plan for fun! Julie and Jake had a number of lawn games set up, like corn hole and giant jenga, perfect for getting guests having fun together.
- Kid Zone - There were so many thoughtful ways that this couple accommodated their littlest guests, including an area full of fun stuff just for kids.
- Colouring Contest - Colouring sheets with a cartoon bride and groom were provided at a table, along with tons of crayons and the promise of winning a prize for the best colouring job.
- Bonfire - One of my favourite parts of the evening was when, instead of doing a cake cutting, the newlyweds posed in front of the fire pit and lit the bonfire together.
- Hospitality - These guys know how to take care of their guests! They had everything their wedding guests might need to enjoy a backyard bonfire - flip flops, blankets, umbrellas, rain ponchos, bug spray, and even a first aid kit. There were also marshmallows and drinks for all, but a simple and fun choice perfect for this backyard wedding was the three course food trucks!
I hope you enjoy these images just as much as I enjoyed being a part of such an incredible day.